Thursday, September 25, 2008

Two More Months

For almost a year now, we've been in this together. This whole Africa experiment, living somewhere else for a while and seeing what it teaches us. Working, traveling, adjusting, reading, meeting some amazing people, getting to know another part of the world a little bit.

Last night, Chris and I said goodbye at the Yaounde airport, and I watched him step up the long staircase to the boarding area. The next time we'll see each other is December 4, when I will arrive at the San Francisco airport.
I'm still here in Africa, by myself this time. I've decided to stay for a couple more months, because I can, and the groundwork is already laid, and because I don't feel like Cameroon is finished with me yet. Chris has been so supportive of my choice to stay here, even when I have been disagreeable, and even when I didn't get my visa until about 30 hours before departure time. So for a while, we'll be living the adventures of life in different places, sharing the best we can over Skype and e-mail, looking forward to coming together again at the end of this time apart. I'll try to be a more faithful post-er here, since Chris is no longer here to do the lion's share of the blogging.

Really, I'm excited for both of us. He gets to be back in the best city ever (at least that we know of), re-connecting with friends, enjoying Mexican food, going to our wonderful church, doing theater, feeling the San Francisco chill in the air, and looking for work. I get to be here in Cameroon, continuing to enjoy some of the relationships we've formed here, exploring others more deeply, working with a great NGO, watching baby Grace grow a bit older, being warm, eating wonderful food, and dancing to the music. I think we'll have a good time. But it sure will be great to see each other again.

The sun is shining in Yaounde this afternoon...should've done some laundry!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We'll look after Chris but look forward to seeing you when you return, too. And, um, I'm speaking for all of San Francisco. I have that power sometimes.
Zack

Ana said...

Have a great time, Ann! I have enjoyed reading Chris's post, but I am looking forward to reading more from you.

Unknown said...

I had a quesadilla today!

miriam said...

yes ann! --- you do your thing

w. said...

i know what it's like to feel a place isn't finished with you yet. glad you could stay a bit longer.