Thursday, October 2, 2008

Missing Chris

Sure, I'm his number one fan in Cameroon, but I'm in good company when it comes to missing Chris. Allow me to introduce a couple other members of the club...

CeCe works in the computer department up at the school, in fact for the time being, she pretty much is the department. After a key person left at the beginning of the summer, Chris lent a hand there when he could. His assistance was much appreciated, and he was acknowledged at the school's weekly chapel service just before he left. Here he is, saying a few words to the students just after being presented with a stylish 'Whatever' t-shirt. (Bright blue, on the podium just in front of him -- those of you in SF may see him wearing it.) CeCe definitely misses having Chris around, and inquires after him when she sees me.

And this is Philip. You may recognize him from our goodbye party; he's one of the day guards at our apartment building, and always has a cheerful greeting for all who come and go. In this picture, Philip is wearing a shirt that Chris left behind, and he's also strapped on Chris's big sandals. He says he's very excited to have inherited these things not only because they're useful, but also because they'll remind him of his friend in the U.S. So now when I'm going out to work in the morning, or returning from an afternoon of errands, Philip greets me and asks about Chris.

Friends at work, friends in the neighborhood...yes indeed, I'm just one of the many people who enjoyed having Chris around, and who are missing him now. But I'm still the luckiest one of them all, because I get to see him again in just two months!

No comments: