Monday, June 16, 2008

New Adventures in Hair

As many of you know, I enjoy an occasional drastic change to the color of my hair. But here in Africa, the more common practice for women is to drastically change the style of their hair. I certainly couldn't resist, so this past Saturday, I embarked upon a new adventure in hair!
BEFORE: "Oh Beckaaaay, what ever shall I do with this shaggy 70's hair of mine?"
I called over Charlotte (left) and she came with her friend Davina (right) and a few packs of different colored fake hair. Mmmmmm. After some pondering, I turned down the black and the brown in favor of a purple and magenta combination. And so they started in to work...
Here is the hair itself, draped over the back of the couch. They prepared it, cut it to the right length, and eventually arranged it into numerous small portions with a bit of each color, ready to braid.
Four and a half hours and a couple of movies later, I was lookin' pretty fine, with long thick hair the likes of which I've never had before! Yes, it hurt at times, but they worked really quickly and did a great job. Here they are finishing up the last few braids, just before they tied it all back and dipped the ends in near-boiling water.
AFTER: "Hmmm, this hairstyle and color is not entirely unlike that of DJ Adrian from Bootie!"
Thanks ladies! I have been greatly enjoying my new big hair, and have not yet taken it out of the convenient ponytail as of this writing. (Will probably do that later today, and put it in a different style.) People say it can last for several weeks, so we'll see how it goes. I'm already scheming about colors for the next time I get this done!

1 comment:

Ana said...

That is so fun. I always remember you with your multi-stripped crop you had in SF around 2000-01. It is great to see you guys getting to do and see so much.

take care,