Friday, November 9, 2007

where have we been?

The entire country of Cameroon lost its internet access recently because the undersea fiber-optic cable that carries it (all of it, apparently) was damaged. There's a boat on the way from South Africa to fix the problem that is due tomorrow, although (obviously) things seems to be working today. We'll put up more pictures and news soon. And if you emailed us and are waiting for a reply, you should be hearing back from us after the weekend.

I have used webmail for a few years now, because up until now I've spent the majority of my time within a few yards of a web-connected computer. That's different here, so I'm in the process of downloading all my Gmail messages to a Thunderbird mail client. There are 479 of them, apparently, since Nov of 2006.

If you don't think you have an internet habit, you might try leaving it alone for a week and see what happens. Our connection has been down for a couple of weeks now, and it definitely bothered me. I actually made quick cellphone calls to my folks and a friend back home, to make sure people knew we were OK. I waited my whole life for the internet, until it showed up. I'll take it with me anywhere I can.

1 comment:

Schirme said...

Thanks for the call to DAG, he did indeed share with others that all was well with you two.

Internet addiction.... I personally don't even see it as such anymore. The internet has so enmeshed itself in the everyday lives of so many people that it has become an extension of who we are as people. I know I'm not saying anything new here, but I find it to be an actual extension of my little bio-brain. Yes, there are many things I could simply look up in a library - theoretically - but now I can do so within seconds of wanting the info. The internet is perhaps the most all-encompassing tool man has ever devised.