Friday, November 16, 2007

beer!


Beer is popular in Cameroon. It's also popular with me. I've been trying the local brews, and my favorite is called "33" (see image above). Beer here mostly comes in large bottles, like the double-sized beers they serve back home in Chinese restaurants, and only in small bottles or cans occasionally. If you see people in small cafes or bars at the side of the road, they usually have a big beer bottle and a glass in front of them. They're usually at a table, and usually with someone else.

We saw the brewery too, which is here in Yaounde and responsible for bottling "33", Tuborg, Mutzig, Isenbeck (all Cameroonian beers), as well as sodas and other beverages.

That bottle on the right? If you see one, avoid it. I saw it at the store, and decided to give it a try. It has "genuine whisky taste" which should have been warning enough. It's a sort of whisky-flavored Zima, a heavily sweetened whisky and soda. I liked the name, since I like most black beverages -- Death and Taxes Black Ale (served on tap with pizza slices at Lanesplitters in Oakland, CA), black coffee, kahlua. But one Whisky Black is plenty for this trip, although I did drink it all just to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome. now we are getting to the important stuff! ;)

the blog is great, guys... thank you for it.

Leon Franzen said...

Is that made by Canada Dry? Tonic water, ginger ale and whisky black.

Avagadro said...

Usually, I'd agree with you that in order to conduct a proper experiment in alcohol flavor, you must consume the entire contents. Then when we bailed early on a radiostar one night, you and Captain Homer came back with an Olde English. One sip was all I could handle.
I applaud your perseverance in the interest of fairplay.

Avagadro said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Yeah, it's Canada Dry. We tried the similar "Gin and Tonic" beverage last night, while watching Finding Nemo on the laptop. It was somewhat better, especially with a little fresh lemon juice, but nothing to buy a second time.

Unknown said...

Oh, and Dave, any of these beverages is still better than Old English.

Dave Doty said...

Hi,


Speaking of beer... I collect unusual varieties of money from around the world. I recently read a BBC article about people using beer bottle caps for money in Cameroon. Here is the link:



http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4156200.stm



Unfortunately, I don't know anyone in Cameroon. Is this something you could please please help me with?

Thank you



Dave