Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Week One, short version

We’re here in Cameroon's capital of Yaounde, housesitting til January, meeting friendly, helpful people at the 2 places we’ll be working, both of which are within walking distance. We have some college friends in town who have welcomed us and helped us out a lot already, and even took us on a picnic. We’re getting by with our French but it’s uphill for now, and lots of people speak some English. We just got cellphones. Ann lost her voice yesterday. It’s 65 to 85 degrees, intermittently rainy, and we listen to rain and thunderstorms at night and birds in the morning. The one light in the living room when we arrived was a fluorescent tube inside of a fat eight-foot boa constructor skin mounted on a 2x10, which casts a soft warm glow over the room. It’s raining, but we see lots of sun every day.

3 comments:

Benjamin said...

I'm so pleased I read the short version as well as the long version... the boa constrictor lamp isn't in the long version! I think the lamp deserves a photo....

Love,
Benjamin

P.S. David and I both gasped with excitement and ran to our respective computers when we realized you had posted an update.

Anonymous said...

I second the proposal that the lamp deserves a photo!

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled onto your blog when I googled in search of a world map to show my daughter. I love that you included the great Fuller map. If you don't mind the suggestion- I'm sure your blog will attract more people you don't yet know (I am not usually one to read blogs); it would be great if you could post some background info. I'd love to know what prompted your trip. Why did you choose Cameroon? What sort of work will you be doing?

Best of luck!

Melissa in Boston